Questions you may forget to ask

Renée Borcas

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Being new or returning to campus might bring about some questions about what to do in situations that could be considered difficult to talk about. While the AU website is a good resource for this information, we have compiled some frequently asked questions into this list.


What should I do if I’m having trouble in a class?

While it is easy to get caught up in the excitement of a new semester, it is important to keep up on academic work. If you are student and struggling in a class, here are a few tips that will hopefully help to boost your grade.

First, it is important to talk to your professor. Faculty members usually have designated office hours where they are available to discuss questions or concerns that their students may have. They might suggest looking into tutoring, which is organized free of charge by the Center for Academic Support. In cases of writing, they may refer you to the Writing Center. If you still are unable to achieve what you want out of the class, your academic advisor will be able to offer guidance on the next move to make.

If worst comes to worst, you could drop the class. The last day to add a course this semester is Sept. 5 and the latest you can drop a class without receiving a ‘W’ is Oct. 15. Beware that changing your schedule could affect your degree plan for the following semesters.


How can I find a job?

If you are looking for a job, the Career Services Center offers resources to help in your search. AU Career Connect is the office’s online service that acts as a job board for all of the current openings on campus and some off-campus opportunities as well. This resource is open to all AU students and alumni.


How can I get involved?

If you are interested in getting involved, look no further than the Division of Student Affairs. Between organizations like Greek Life, clubs, rec and intramural sports, religious life, and community service, these groups enable opportunities to grow as an individual and within the AU community.

It is also possible to get involved by finding a community outside of university-organized social groups. This could be done by making friends with people who live on your floor, people in your classes or people you meet through other means. There are plenty of ways to spend time with friends, whether it is going to explore around town or simply hanging out in each other’s dorm rooms.


What should I do if I’m having issues with my roommate?

Roommate conflicts can be stressful, but you can take a preventative step to avoid it by filling out a roommate contract at the beginning of the semester. These set you and your roommate’s expectations of each other for the year and campus RA’s will be able to provide them if you are unable find a suitable one online.

RA’s are another go-to source if you’re having disagreements with your roommate. They have all been trained to help resolve conflict and face many other issues that you may have as a resident on campus. 

If you and your roommate’s lifestyles continue to clash, you can fill out a Room Change Request Form. If you fill out the form within the first or last two weeks of the semester you will have to wait out Residence Life’s room freeze. The freeze halts any official change in room assignment, but they will still help in making arrangements during this time.


Where should I go if I’m sick or injured?

Ashland has several clinic options should you need medical attention, but the closest option is the Student Health Center located in the Student Center. They can provide services like physicals, immunizations, injury treatment, and can treat acute illnesses. If you run into a situation where you need care while the Student Health Center is closed, the CVS on Main St. offers similar services.

If you are facing a medical emergency you can check into the nearest hospital, Samaritan Medical. It is located at 1025 Center St., which is half a mile east of campus. If the situation is imminent, be sure to dial 911.


Where can I go to find counseling services?

Just as it is important to take care of your physical health, mental health should also be cared for. AU provides free and confidential counseling services. The office is inside the student center and offers resources for drug awareness, time management, grief counseling, depression management, and many more topics.


What should I do if I’m locked out, having car trouble, or feel I’m in danger?

Safety services is available at all hours to help you with any safety or security issues that you may run into. If an RA is unavailable to help you into your room, they have officers on hand to assist you. They also have employees who would be able to help you to get into your car if you lock yourself out or provide a jumpstart.

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.