Ashland University to host annual Juried Art Exhibition

Adie Goodyear

Ashland University will be holding their annual juried art exhibition from March 14-29 in the Coburn Art Gallery and the event is free and open to the public.

Callie Roddy, Commercial Art major at Ashland University, explains what the student art show is and how it works.

“It’s pretty much a chance for the students to show off their works that they do throughout the semester”, Roddy said. “Of course the teachers are not the ones who chose the works. They have outside art professional peoples come in and look at students work and then decide what will get presented in the show and what won’t.”

The opening of the show will hold an awards ceremony, where the students can win awards up to five-hundred dollars, starting at 5:30 p.m on opening day.

“We do have an outside jurer, and that this year is Larry Sheeman. He was a long time AU faculty member and he is a ceramicist so he will be coming in to look at all the entries” Cynthia Petry, a Professional Instructor of Art and the Director of the Coburn Gallery, said.

Ricki Denes, Art Education major at Ashland University, says that there is not a limit to how many pieces a student can submit to the show; however, not everybody and not everything somebody submits will get put into the show.

“The limit is your willpower to the mat”, Denes said. “If you have the willpower to mat all of the work you want to submit, then you can submit as many as you want.”

There is no limit to how many pieces or works a single person can submit, but “you have to be willing to put in the effort” Roddy informed. All the pieces featured in the show are pieces that current art students have made throughout the last year.

“They have to be pieces that you have made at Ashland University and within a certain amount of time, which is a year,” Denes said.

The show allows students to learn skills that they can use in future job opportunities and in general for their field.

“The students learn some really valuable skills by entering the show such as being able to present your work in a professional manner; they do have to mat [and] frame their own works. Also, they have an opportunity to get feedback from an outside professional artist, like Larry Sheeman.” Petry said.