AU Live

AU to celebrate Chinese New Year

Frozen (Yan Qi)

Based on the lunar calendar, the Chinese New Year will start on Feb. 4, but the International Office to has decided to celebrate on Feb. 1.

The event is going to be hosted in the lower chapel, of the Jack and Deb Miller Chapel, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Students will have the opportunity to play games and enjoy free Chinese food.

The food will be served potluck style and students are encouraged to bring their own food to share. Those who attend will also have the opportunity to learn how to make dumplings as well.

The event will also feature a unique Chinese tradition where a lucky coin is hidden inside one of the dumplings. According to the tradition, if you find the coin inside your dumpling, you will be blessed in the coming new year.

Students will miss the traditional television shows in China that showcase the New Year since Beijing is 13 hours ahead of Ohio. Due to that, the International Office is welcoming everyone to sign up to perform songs and dances to make the event feel more like the actual celebration.

However, not every race in China celebrates the Chinese New Year. Nabire, a Muslim Chinese student, had her first experience of the old tradition at Ashland University a few years ago.

“Since my family and I come from a minority area of China, we don’t have Chinese New Year customs,” Nabire said. “Today is a great opportunity to experience the new thing of the motherland in a foreign country.”

Although the Chinese New Year starts next week, the early celebration doesn’t reduce the enthusiasm of the staff from the International Office.

“This year is different, we cooperate with the Access program since the majority are Chinese instead of the downtown church to host the event,” International Office worker Officer Chen said. “The goal of the change is to let more students from the university participate in the event.”