AU Live

No. 14 Eagles fall to No. 8 Mountain Cats

Back to Article
Back to Article

AU grappler Christian Price competes in a match at home earlier this season against Lourdes University.

AU ATHLETICS

AU ATHLETICS

AU ATHLETICS

David Amsden

The Ashland University wrestling team fell to No. 8 Pitt-Johnstown on the road, 20-12 this past Saturday (Dec. 1).

Before this dual meet, AU head coach Josh Hutchens and the rest of his No. 14 Eagles started the season with a 5-0 record in duals. The Eagles as a team had a record of 4-6 on the day but knew it was going to be a tough match going into the day.

Freshman Luke Wymer was one of four Eagles to win their matches on Saturday, when he won his match 2-1 at 133 pounds. Wymer is at the head of a strong freshman class and is currently 9-3 on the season.

Along with Wymer, former national champion Bret Romanzak won his match 5-2 at 165 pounds. Romanzak is currently ranked No. 1 at the 165 weight class in NCAA Division II and is looking to capture his second national title of his collegiate career.

“Our performance overall wasn’t our best. We wrestled hard and competed well with a great team, but got beat in a lot of the tough, nitty-gritty positions in many matches,” Romanzak said.

Daniel Beemer is another freshman for the Eagles that had huge day in Johnstown, Penn. Beemer defeated his opponent 8-4 during his match in the 184 pound weight class.

Finishing off the wins for the Eagles was redshirt sophomore Tristen Weirich in the 285 pound weight class in a 5-3 decision.

Besides Romanzak, one other member of the team is ranked in the top ten nationally. Redshirt junior Chandler Minnard is currently ranked No.7 in the nation for the 141 weight class.

Minnard fell to No. 5 Joey Alessandro of the Mountain Cats by a 6-3 decision on Saturday.

“At this point in the season though, we’re just looking to improve, win or lose, and I know the team learned a lot from the match Saturday and we will use it to help us come time for regionals.”

The Eagles will return to the mat on next Saturday (Dec. 8) at West Liberty at 2 pm.

• No. 14 Eagles fall to No. 8 Mountain Cats

SPORTS

AU defeats Ferris State for 800th program victory

SPORTS

Young stars on the rise for Eagles

SPORTS

AU Throwers: Pinnacle of NCAA Division II

SPORTS

AU wrestling begins quest for another successful season

SPORTS

Sports Break 11-15-18

SPORTS

Sports Break 11-14-18

SPORTS

The Eagles hand the Cavaliers their first loss

SPORTS

Sports Break 11-13-18

SPORTS

Sports Break 11-12-18

SPORTS

Women’s basketball starts season 2-0