AU Live

AU Students selected to compete in national case study competition for second year in a row

David Amsden

The Ashland University Communication Department selected four seniors to compete for the Bateman Case Study Competition team. All students selected this year are some sort of communications major and include Ricardo Leona, Cyleen Sharpe, Samantha Stutzman, and Erin Staley.

Stutzman of Chardon, Ohio, reflects on what being selected means to her.

“Being selected for this year’s Bateman team means I have the opportunity to work with some amazing people and get some hands-on experience in a field that I love,” Stutzman said.

This year the organization is represented by the teams will be the Public Relations Society of America, otherwise known as the PRSA.

This will be the second year that Ashland’s PRSSA Chapter has competed in this national case study competition.

Being selected to the group has meant a lot to the students involved, Staley said.

“Being selected for Bateman means a lot to me. It is a great opportunity and I am so grateful to be a part of it,” she said. “This is the second time I have been selected for this team. This competition helps you gain real-world PR experience. It is something I can not only put on my resume but will benefit me in the future.”

Each year a company is chosen for the teams to represent. The students will compose a campaign from Feb. 11- March 11, 2019. If the team makes the top three, they will have the chance to win up to $3,500 for first place, $2,500 for second, and $1,500 for third.