The Student News Site of Ashland University

AU Live

AU named national college of distinction

Ingrid Schmidt

Ashland University was recently named as a national college of distinction in the 2017 colleges of distinction guidebook.

According to collegesofdistinction.com, the guidebook’s goal is to recognize universities that do an extraordinarily good job keeping their students engaged and preparing them for their future careers.

Ashland University’s director of academic support, Ron Mickler, thinks that Ashland University achieving this honor will help more students find the university.

“Finding the right college can change a student’s life and with this distinction, that search has just been made easier.” Mickler said.  “This is a significant achievement for Ashland.”

To be named as a college of distinction, a university must be nominated by a either a high school guidance counselor, college administrators, or the college of distinction selection team.

The national organization looks at university data such as class size and graduation rates; along with talking to admission experts, senior administrators, university alumni, and current students.  This helps them to get a better-rounded picture of the university before honoring them in their yearly guidebook.

Mickler said that without the dedication of Ashland University’s faculty and staff, AU wouldn’t have received this honor.

“Our faculty are experts in their field,” Mickler said, “This translates not only in the classroom, but outside the classroom as well through experiential learning opportunities such as internships and independent studies that our faculty make available.”

In an interview with AUTV-20, Coburn Gallery director Cynthia Petry spoke about how the art faculty keep their students engaged.

“Doing research, no matter what field you’re in as a professor is critical, not only for your own personal growth, but for your students,” Petry said. “For them to see that you’re making art, exhibiting art.”

The college of distinction guidebook, also looks at student engagement and preparedness.  Mickler feels that the students choosing to come to Ashland University help to make the campus atmosphere distinct.

“Our recent freshman classes have been extremely engaging and involved in campus life and campus activities,” Mickler said.  “The characteristics of our freshman class really demonstrate an eagerness to learn and they are more academically prepared then we have ever seen.”

Mickler said he is proud of the title and hopes that Ashland University continues to provide quality educations to all of its students.

“This title further exemplifies the great initiatives that are currently going on at Ashland University and really addresses why Ashland University is the right choice for all of our students,” Mickler said.

• AU named national college of distinction

AUTV-20

Upcoming renovations in convo

AUTV-20

AU gives new life to an old tree

CAMPUS

Tobacco pandemic lecture

CAMPUS

Music fills the halls of AU’s Center for the Arts building

AUTV-20

Upcoming renovations in convo

AUTV-20

AU gives new life to an old tree

AUTV-20

Sports Break 4-28-17

AUTV-20

News Break 4-28-17

AUTV-20

News Break 4-26-17

COMMUNITY

Former students remember Madison Jr. High School