AU Live

Emotional support animal, Mr. Bubbles, to visit Ashland University

Mr. Bubbles, the emotional support animal; courtesy of the Ashland University Wellness Facebook page

Joy Johnson

Mr. Bubbles, the emotional support miniature horse, will be coming to Ashland University’s Student Center on Oct. 9. From 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

The Eagle Peer Educators worked with Ashland University’s psych club and Dr. Deborah Sullivan, director of Campus Wellness at Ashland University, to bring Mr. Bubbles to continue their theme of promoting emotional wellness.

Sullivan and the Peer Educators hope that bringing Mr. Bubbles will be unique enough to draw in more students to their event.

“I just wanted something different,” Sullivan said. “We’ve had therapy animals on campus before, but we’ve never had a miniature horse.”

Alexa Jacobs, the vice president of the Peer Educators, said that the educators really want people to learn more about their emotional wellness, she said.

“We really want to attract people and get them to learn more about their emotional wellness,” Jacobs said. “Emotional wellness is particularly important to me.”

She feels it not only helps her have good relationships with other people but also helps her have a better relationship with herself, she said.

“If I can’t help myself, then it’s hard for me to help other people,” Jacobs said.

Students will not only be able to pet and take pictures with Mr. Bubbles, but there will also be an information table available to provide resources and information to assist with emotional and mental health.

“There’s going to be a lot of handouts and other resources,” Jacobs said. “My hope, along with the other peer educators is to help as many students as they can get more informed on their emotional and mental health and provide resources to assist them.”

Every semester, the Peer Educators have focused on different aspects of wellness, and while their focus is on emotional wellness this semester, they have focused on the other aspects of wellness in the past.

Last spring, the Peer Educators and Sullivan began an online challenge called #AUWellnessChallenge. Participants could upload pictures of themselves performing different elements of the challenge to #AUWellnessChallenge.

The elements included showing examples of “Moving well, resting well and nourishing well,” according to the Ashland University Campus Wellness online page.

Those who participated had the opportunity to win prizes, and this fall, they have the opportunity to do so again.

Along with the elements of the previous semester, there is a new one called “Well mind = a well body,” according to the Ashland University Campus Wellness online page.

This year, there will be monthly drawings for prizes, leading up to a grand prize drawing of a Fitbit in December.

For more information regarding the Peer Educators and the #AUWellnessChallenge, go online to Ashland University Campus Wellness, and check out their Facebook page Ashland University Wellness, their Instagram page @AUCampusWellness, and their twitter page @AUCapusWell.