AU Live

Alum calls for students to flock to South Dakota

Back to Article
Back to Article

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Renée Borcas

The women’s basketball team is headed to the NCAA Division II National Championship game once again. There is only one problem: Empty seats.

Many Eagle faithful have already made the trip out to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, but alumni have noticed a lack in student body representation.

Jack Keefe, AU class of 1985 and owner of Tripps Travel Network, is one of the graduates who has noticed this oddity and wants to do something about it.

“You know what? Every student likes free stuff, alright, okay,” he said in an AU Live livestream. “So alums, like myself, are putting a plea out to AU students. We’re giving you a reason not to go to class on Friday!”

Keefe, along with other alumni, have already made the trip out to Sioux Falls and are looking for a way to see more students as the Eagles go for back-to-back championships.

“You get here, alumni like myself will figure out a way to get you back to Ashland and a place for you to stay, here in Sioux Falls,” Keefe said. “There’s a lot to do in Sioux Falls—not, but that’s okay. It’s okay. We’re going to win a National Championship and then we’re going to party Friday night.”

Arrangements have been discussed to put students up in hotels and to possibly get a van for the cheerleaders, but nothing has been officially arranged. Either way, the Eagles are on the road to make history as consecutive undefeated champions.

“You need to get in your car and come out to Sioux Falls and see history.” Keefe said. “Your team is going for 74 games in a row. Back-to-back national titles. We will never, ever see this again in our lifetime, but we need the student experience.”

Sioux Falls, South Dakota is just about 900 miles away from AU and the Eagles will play on Friday, March 23, at 8:00 p.m. Eastern at the Sanford Pentagon. Tickets can be found at ncaa.com/tickets.

“We’re playing Central Missouri, a great team and we know the girls and Coach Fralick need your support,” said Keefe.

“Get anybody on campus you can to come out to Sioux Falls,” he continued. “Because we need the support Friday night and we will take care of you once that you’re here.”

• Alum calls for students to flock to South Dakota

CAMPUS/COMMUNITY

Why is there core curriculum at AU

CAMPUS/COMMUNITY

Ashland University’s correctional education program changes lives

CAMPUS/COMMUNITY

Nursing room opens at Ashland University

FEATURES

French Club fundraiser for Haiti

FEATURES

Where is life calling you to go?

FEATURES

Life and legacy in wake of loss:

FEATURES

94 pounds: a true story of anorexia nervosa

CAMPUS/COMMUNITY

AU participates in Silent Witness Project of Ashland County to spread awareness of domestic violence

CAMPUS/COMMUNITY

The Melting Pot: student run worship service

FEATURES

Exchanging clip-on ties for clippers: Adam Pry gave up sales to become a barber