Second annual 88.9 WRDL tailgate party a success

WRDL radio personalities Derek Wood (left) and Tom Prizeman hosted the station's tailgate party before the AU homecoming football game.

Noah Cloonan

Ashland University’s 88.9 WRDL hosted its second annual tailgate party on Saturday (Oct. 17) morning on the lawn of the Troop Center during homecoming weekend. The tailgate party included a cornhole tournament, a live radio broadcast, and Buffalo Wild Wings and Eva’s Treats provided food for the event. 

AU’s “Pizza, Pizza, Pizza” was hosted across the street along with many other homecoming festivities. It was a brisk morning on campus, but students bundled up and weathered the cold to be a part of the tailgate party. WRDL Student General Manager, Derek Wood, and WRDL Sports Director, Tom Prizeman hosted the live radio show. 

This year the radio station is all student run and there is no faculty advisor. 

“I think we were able to do what we wanted to do,” said Wood. “Which is have a live pregame show, and have free food and giveaways, and make all the people who were visiting for homecoming feel welcome.”

Students were able to put a face to the name of the people that they consistently hear on the radio. 

“It added a more personal touch to it,” said sophomore David Grim. “You always hear the people, the announcers and stuff like that but to be able to see them was kind of cool.” 

The morning broadcast featured live interviews from men’s basketball coach, John Ellenwood, women’s basketball coach, Robin Fralick, and Athletic Director, Al King. 

“It was interesting to listen to,” said Grim. “I think that is something that is fun and it adds to the experience.”

WRDL hosted this event in hopes that they could get the community involved in homecoming weekend. 

“I thought [the event] went really well,” said Prizeman. “We had a lot of people come through the tent, get some food, listen to some music, play some cornhole and really support the Ashland community. It’s great to see Ashland coming out and getting involved in homecoming weekend.”  

“We try to do a lot of live events that have community impact or campus impact,” said Wood.

WRDL is the largest source of student media on campus and hope to use this platform as a way to branch out into the community.

“Overall, I think [the event] went over even better than last year,” said Wood. 

Despite not having a faculty advisor, the WRDL student board of directors was able to pull off a great tailgate party and added a new dimension to AU’s homecoming weekend.