Lady Eagles finish 11th in GVSU invite

Zach Read, MANAGING EDITOR OF THE COLLEGIAN

The Ashland University women’s golf team competed at the Grand Valley State Gilda’s Club Laker Fall Invite on Sept. 24-25. The Lady Eagles placed 11th with a score of 667 out of the 19-team field.

After Saturday’s round, the team was currently in ninth place after carding a 330, but could not improve on Sunday as they dropped two places by shooting a team score of 337.

AU senior, Kaitlin Neumann posted scores of 75 and 79, for a total of 154 as she led the team and tied for 15th individually. Neumann played a great round on Saturday as she shot just three over par heading into Sunday.

The other scores posted by the Lady Eagles are as follow: Sophomores Monica Torda (83-87—170) and Morgan Eib (86-84—170) tied for second on the team while the third sophomore Kayleigh McHugh (89-87—176) finished in fourth on the team. Freshman Anna Schatschneider (86-93—179) rounded out the Ashland field.

Torda and Eib tied for 56th individually, McHugh finished 73rd individually, and freshman Anna Schatschneider finished 81st overall.

This is a young team for the eagles so they look to improve as a team over the season as senior Kaitlin Neumann continues to lead the charge for Ashland.

Winning the invite was the host team Grand Valley State University as they posted a team score of 300-298–598 while Findlay placed second with a team score of 604. Not far behind them was the University of Indianapolis with a score of 607 and finished third in the competition.

The Ashland Eagles women’s golf team will look to improve on Oct. 3-4 when they compete in the Northwood Invitational at the Midland Country Club in Michigan.